top of page

Welcome to the Tasmanian Aero Club

Tasmania’s Premier Recreational Flying School

The Tasmanian Aero Club has unfortunately had to temporarily suspend all flight training activities due to our long term CFI making a career change. For further information or enquiries please contact us. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We will provide updates as they become available. 

Learn to Fly


The Tasmanian Aero Club specialize in teaching people to fly. In fact, we have been teaching people to fly for over 90 years.


We are a flight school that focuses on training recreational pilots under the RAA licensing system.


Weather you are a beginner or have some experience our experienced instructors can help you achieve your goal of gaining your pilots certificate. 

The Tasmanian Aero Club specialize in teaching people to fly. In fact, we have been teaching people to fly for over 90 years...



Becoming a member of the Tasmanian Aero Club provides:

  • Access to the club rooms.  You will be provided with a key to the front door and a Security Code.

  • Use of club aircraft subject to achievement of appropriate qualifications.

  • Regular emails regarding up and coming events

  • Access to Members only sites on the club website

And more...

Becoming a member of the Tasmanian Aero Club provides you with many benefits.... 

Other Services

Other Services

The Tasmanian Aero Club is also able to offer English proficiency assessments and aeronautical radio operator certificates. Assessments we can offer include:

General English Language Proficiency (GELP)


The General English Language Proficiency (GELP) will assess your everyday use of English.


A GELP assessment may needed for:

  • Recreational Pilot Licence holders (RPL) who do not yet have a ‘Flight Radio Endorsement’.

  • Remote Pilot Licence holders (RePL)

  • an Aeronautical Radio Operator Certificate (AROC)

GELP has different requirements than the Aviation English Language Proficiency (AELP)

Aviation English Language Proficiency Level 6 (AELP Level 6)


The Aviation English language proficiency (AELP) will assess your verbal proficiency in English and aviation terminology.


              You will need to hold a current AELP to get your:

  • recreational pilot licence (RPL) with a flight radio endorsement

  • private pilot licence (PPL)

  • commercial pilot licence (CPL)

  • air transport pilot licence (ATPL) 

  • flight engineer licence (FEL)

  • air traffic controller (ATC) licence

              You will also require an AELP if you are:

  • transferring an overseas licence (unless you hold an ICAO ELP assessment on your foreign licence)

  • applying for an Australian licence based on an Australian Defence Force qualification.

Aeronautical Radio Operator Certificate (AROC)

An Aeronautical Radio Operator Certificate (AROC) is required by anyone who needs to communicate on an aviation air-band radio frequency and is not already licenced or qualified.

This includes aircraft maintenance engineers, maintenance organisations and remote pilot licence (RePL) holders. Other people who need an AROC may also include airport or emergency personnel.

If you’re unsure on what you require contact us and we will guide you through so that you undertake the correct assessment for your requirements.


December 2020


Check our Facebook Page for upcoming events

bottom of page